Permanent Residency For Students

If you are a foreign student who recently graduated in Canada, you likely have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence. There are various federal and provincial programs that help to get Permanent Residency in Canada for International Students.

Canadian Experience Class

This program seeks to secure candidates with the specific skilled working experience obtained in Canada with proper authorization.

To apply for this program, applicants must also be planning to live outside Quebec.

The specific skilled working experiences being sought after are:

  •  Management Job Experience: examples: restaurant managers, mine managers, shore captains (fishing)
  • Professional Job Experience:  People usually need a degree from a university for these jobs: examples: doctors, dentists, architects
  • Technical Jobs and Skilled Trades Experience: People usually need a college diploma or to train as an apprentice to do these jobs: examples: chefs, electricians, plumbers

Candidate must have at least one year of work experience or having at least 1560 hours of paid work (continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time).

The paid work experience must have occurred within the last 3 years before you apply.

Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (for example, on a co-op work term) does not count under this program.

The Quebec Experience Class Program

The Quebec Experience Program (PEQ) is the provincial equivalent to the federal Canadian Experience Class program. The PEQ is designed specifically for foreign workers and students currently living in Quebec. It should be noted that the PEQ is not a point-based system such as the QSW program. As long as you met the specific requirements you would be qualified. As such, the processing time for a PEQ application is significantly shorter as compared to other Immigration Quebec programs.

Depending whether you are a worker or a student there are 2 set of requirements for the PEQ application.

Requirements for Student stream

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have the intention to settle in Québec and hold employment.
  • Have not violated the terms of your student permit and CAQ.
  • Possess a Québec diploma eligible for the PEQ or expect to complete your study program within six months of the date the next six months.
  • Possess an advanced‐intermediate level of French proficiency.

The following types of diploma are eligible for PEQ

  • DEP – (Diploma of Vocational Studies) involving  a minimum of 1,800 hours of study
  • DEP followed by another short vocational program (in the same educational field) totaling a minimum of 1,800 hours of study
  • DEC – Diploma of College Studies, technical training program.
  • Bachelor’s degree, university undergraduate.
  • Master’s degree, MBA, and Ph.D. graduate studies.

Requirements for worker stream

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Have the intention to settle in Québec and hold employment.
  • Possess a lawful work permit and is currently working for a Quebec employer.
  • Possess a minimum of 12 months of eligible work experience (skill level O, A or B) on a lawful work permit in Quebec.
  • Possess an advanced‐intermediate level of French proficiency.

Other things you should know about the PEQ program

  • You can demonstrate your B2 level of French proficiency in the following ways:
  • You have completed you study program in French.
  • Take intermediate French Language classes at an approved institute.
  • Take a French Language test.
  • Unlike the QSW program, under the PEQ program, no interview is required.
  • It cannot be your intention to begin another program of study after your application is approved.

Specific Provincial Nomination Programs

Each Provincial and territory has its own streams and criteria for its Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). If you are nominated from one of these programs you may be eligible to use the Express Entry System to expedite the processing of your file.

These are the ways to get a Permanent Residency in Canada for International Students.